I have no issue getting crazy in the kitchen. I also have no issue hunting down products at the store to make my menu interesting. I notice that a lot of my friends are the same – fit and non-fit people, you know regular people exist too.
After someone reached out to me about Trader Joe finds, I decided to reach out to some of my friends and ask what they like to find at TJ’s. I thought I would try some of their finds, but also share them with you.
So first up. My friend Liz or @liz1315. Her TJ finds are super macro friendly and can be helpful for someone seeking lower carbohydrate options.
- Broccoli and Cauliflower vegetable patties. Macros per patty: 2F/6C/2P
I tried one plain with my lunch. I baked them and followed the directions on the box. They were awesome plain, but I tried them next with some roasted red pepper spread and a yolky egg. That was magical.
Next… something versatile. Rice cauliflower. I know my first thought was why would I do that. But after seeing some of Liz’s creations I decided to give it a try. It really is versatile and her and I have decided to do a post about the recipes and crazy stuff we come up with to eat on prep and in daily life to hit our macros. It’s going to be centered around this guy!
2. Riced cauliflower: Macros per 3/4 cup serving 0F/4C/2P
Next up, something sweet. My friend Alicia or @_alicia_h said Joe-Joe’s were the thing to buy. I completely trust Alicia here, she is also an excellent judge of doughnuts so I kind of have to. We still have a box of pumpkin Joe-Joe’s and peppermint Joe-Joe’s in the pantry. Both unopened just waiting until after competition season.
3. Joe-Joe’s. Macros per 2 cookie serving: 5F/20C/1P (slightly better than an Oreo)
Ali or @ali.widdis listed a few things such as flowers, cold pressed juice, but also said that she has to really want something because it’s a distance from her house and there are something that are pricey – it’s just a novelty thing.
4. Goat Cheese. Macros per 28g serving 6F/5C/6P (depending on flavor)
5. Chile Lime seasoning. It’s good on eggs. It’s good on chicken, ground turkey and beef. It’s just good. Flavor is important, I don’t like sauces as much as I used to.
6. Bagel seasoning. It’s like the bagel, but without the carbs. So far I’ve mostly put this on my eggs, which I highly suggest you do. But Liz and Ali have found other carby sources to put it on to turn the average English muffin into a mock bagel of sorts. I imagine savory oats will be happening next week with this as well.
I don’t think the next one needs a reason to be purchase. It’s $1.99 and damn tasty.
7. No stir creamy peanut butter, I also have no stir chunky peanut butter.
Sometimes you just want to change up your protein sources. Chicken and ground turkey can get old. Sometimes you don’t want or like a salmon burger. The flavor on these is awesome and the macros aren’t bad either. I do think they could be a little more spicy, but if you don’t mind mild, you need to give these are a try.
8. Chile Lime Chicken Burgers. Macros per burger patty 6F/3C/19P
Breakfast is comfort food, well for me at least and I don’t think the next one needs an explanation at all.
9. Hashbrowns. Macros for 3 ounces: 0F/14C/1P
Also, a bunch of you came to the rescue and told me where to find unsweetened shredded coconut.
10. Unsweetened coconut. Macros for 1/4 cup: 20F/2C/2P
Here are some other things I’ve purchased at TJ’s that I think you should be mindful of as well:
- nuts – they are a lot cheaper at TJ’s than they are at most stores
- sushi – pretty tasty and macro-friendly enough meal when you’re on your lunch break
- mini peanut butter cups – 27 minis are a serving…that’s a ton of chocolate and peanut butter!
- chocolate covered espresso beans
- chunky reduced guilt guacamole – I don’t feel guilt eating guacamole usually, but this is made with Greek yogurt and you can consume a lot more for the same or similar nutritional value
A few sent me DM’s on Instagram about their favorite finds:
@jaynabean “chocolate croissants – I must have a box in the freezer at all times for when the occasion strikes.”
@woolandiron “rustic cinnamon graham crackers. They are so freaking delicious and have an awesome molasses taste. And the pink $2 Chuck. And the powdered chai. And frozen chicken gyiza/dumplings. I need to go to TJ’s now…”