I love cookbooks, cooking magazines, cooking shows and I have a sad obsession with Pinterest. Last week when I was in the grocery store I found the latest copy of Food Network Magazine. It’s called The All-American Issue so naturally it is loaded with recipes for the summer, BBQs and the beloved burger. There are so many spins on BBQ in this issue I don’t know how I didn’t eat the pages.
Some nights when I don’t have a lot to do, I will pick a new recipe and have date night with myself. Tonight’s date night included a new burger recipe and American Sniper. I modified the recipe to fit one person, I also adjusted for what I could find in my grocery store such as chile paste – I couldn’t find it anywhere, but I had read online that I could use sriracha powder as an alternative.
What you’ll need for your salad
- 1 pita
- 1 heirloom tomato
- half a cucumber
- quarter of a red onion
- romaine lettuce
- lemon juice
- olive oil
- garlic sriracha powder
- Take a pita, I used Joseph’s flax and oat pitas and cut it into triangles. I used a pizza cutter so that I could have pieces that were even.
- Place on an ungreased baking sheet and bake until crispy.
While you wait for the pita to bake you can assemble your salad.
Building your salad
- Cut red onion half. Put half away and then cut the other half in half. I cut the onion so that I could still have rings, but you can cut it whatever way is easier for you. A quarter of the onion is going to minced or grated, this will be added for your burger. The other quarter will be used in the salad portion of the meal and will be pulled into rings. Add rings into a large mixing bowl
- Cut the cucumber into slices about a centimeter thick. Add to onion in large mixing bowl.
- Cut tomato into bite size pieces and add to the other veggies.
- In a small bowl add 3 or 4 tablespoons of olive oil and 2 tablespoons lemon juice. You might need more or less. I kept adding until I thought the ratio was good for my taste.
- Add garlic sriracha powder to oil/lemon juice mix and stir well. Pour over veggies, toss and set aside.
- Cut up romaine lettuce and add to mixing bowl with veggies. Toss and place on a plate.
What you need to make your burger
- 1/4 pound ground beef, I used 93/7 lean to fat ratio
- 1/4 of a red onion
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- garlic sriracha powder
I use a food scale so I can track my macros, which made it easy to measure out 1/4 pound of beef.
- Heat a flying with a little cooking spray on the stove top. Out of 6, I set my dial to 5.
- In a bowl add meat and garlic sriracha powder, mix well.
- Add minced red onion and 1 teaspoon of olive oil, mix well and shape into a patty.
- Place patty in pan and cook on each side for about 3-4 minutes. I have an electric range and can cook things slower.
Finishing salad assembly
- Add pita chips to salad plate.
- Add patty to salad.
- Top with feta. I used reduced-fat feta because there’s still a lot of protein in it, but I can save a few fat grams.
The macros for my salad were 28f | 17c | 37p. The macros will change based on the brands you use, but on average these were a pretty solid way to round out my day.
I love this edition of the Food Network Magazine and I can’t wait to try out other recipes in it!
I hope everyone else had a great Sunday!