I love Italian food and more importantly when I go out to an Italian restaurant I love getting bruschetta. I also love getting calamari, but that’s a different story for another post.
For date night, I wanted to make something special, but I also know how I get when a loaf of fresh bread is near me so I needed an alternative. Introducing the bruschetta flatbread. The tastiness of bruschetta while being low carb to fit my macros and help bring in some fiber.
What You’ll Need
- Joseph’s oat and flax pitas, you could use any pita, but these are a low carb, high fiber pita that I always keep in the house
- Bel Gioioso Fresh Mozzarella snacking cheese
- Bruschetta topping, any brand will work just fine
- Pizza cutter
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Using a pizza cutter, take one pita and cut it into triangles. Place triangles on an ungreased baking pan.
- Open a package of mozzarella. Each package has 3 mozzarella balls. Cut each one into 3 pieces. You can cut them smaller if you want to distribute the cheese more.
- A serving of Bruschetta topping is 2 tablespoons. I used 2 servings – 4 tablespoons – for this recipe. Scooping 1 tablespoon at a time spread over pita triangles.
- Add cheese pieces.
- Bake for about 5-8 minutes. My oven runs hot so I kept them in for about 6 minutes.
The macros for this specific recipe are:
- 190 calories
- 13g of fat
- 10g of carbs (4g of fiber)
- 13g of protein
This was a really good alternative for Italian date night. It’s boyfriend approved and it allowed for room for other carbs in the meal. I had made stuffed peppers with brown rice so I definitely needed the room!
What other bread alternatives have you all tried? Comment below!