Updated – I’m a huge pancake fan. If you’re new here, you’ll learn that soon. If you’ve been here a while, you already know – and I’m always looking for new recipes.
When I was shopping at Target, I found Kodiak Cakes flapjack and waffle mix. I’ve heard from a ton of people that it’s really good and packed with protein, which is a bit different than standard mixes. They do make a protein pancake mix as well, which has gotten easier to find. I figured with some adjusting, I could increase the protein in these bad boys.
After looking at Pinterest and seeing what some people used in their recipes it was pretty easy to create my own.
What You’ll Need
- 1 serving of Kodiak Cakes Flapjack and Waffle mix, about 1/2 cup
- 1/3 cup to 1/2 cup water (increase water slowly otherwise you’ll have a very runny batter)
- 2 tablespoons of protein powder of choice (I used a whey isolate, but any protein would do)
- 1 egg white
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Optional: toppings like sprinkles, syrup, peanut butter
- In a bowl mix all ingredients until blended smooth. I used Cellucor’s Cor-fetti Cake Batter whey, but you can use any flavor. If you use a different brand it will change the macros.
- Add sprinkles if desired (I never say no to sprinkles).
- Grease pan lightly. I used olive oil cooking spray.
- Using a 1/4 cup measuring scoop add batter to pan. Using a scoop this size will give you 4 pancakes.
- Cook for a few minutes on each side until golden brown.
I’m not a fan of plain pancakes, regardless of the stage in my health journey – I’ve never been one to skip toppings. Honestly, this stems from things I never experienced as a kid, I know I’m making up for lost time. I’m ok with this. Some of my favorite pancakes and waffle toppings are peanut butter, sprinkles, whipped cream, blueberries and maple syrup. I know it sounds odd, but these are things we didn’t have growing up and I love having them now.